Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Happy 1st Birthday


Dear Pritchett,

As I write to you on the eve of your first birthday, I can’t help but think back to this exact day last year.  By late morning, your dad and I knew you were on your way and we were so excited.  Nervous, of course, but excited.  After ten months, we were finally going to meet you!  What would you look like?  What would your cries sound like?  What would you think when you looked at us and matched our faces with the voices you’d been hearing for months?  Such an extraordinary mystery unfolding…
The day itself was relaxed.  A little bit of work for Mom and Dad, a visit from Nana, Papa Pat, Uncle Evan, and Jerry who were in town, and a few walks to speed your arrival along.  Eventually, evening came and it was time to go to the hospital.  We were in such good hands from the moment we arrived and although we never anticipated your dad’s crazy medical hiccup during our stay, you were born at 3:30am, healthy, beautiful, perfect.
I wanted to do everything right from the very beginning.  It was and continues to be one of my greatest struggles as a mother.  How could I expect to know much of anything about what to do in the first moments of a human’s life?  And yet I was determined to give you the best start possible.  I focused solely on feeding you, asking my nurses over and over if I could try yet.  Do I wish I had spent more of that energy on just taking you in, on simply acknowledging you as a person apart from me for the very first time, on just being present with you?  I do.  Even one year later, I often find myself caught up in doing for you rather than just being with you.  But in those rare times when I’m able to let worry go and it’s just you and me?  My goodness, Pritchett, life is joyful, powerful, wonderful.  It is just overwhelmingly… full.
In the year since your birth, your dad and I have watched you grow and change in such miraculous ways.  From sleeping over eight hours of every day to less than four…  From nothing but breast milk for months on end to finger foods you feed yourself…  From simply watching, to smiling, to laughing, to entertaining a room…  From swaddle, to sitting, to crawling, and within the last few days, taking steps!  Each of your attempts at walking remind me of a fortune cookie I opened just after we learned I was pregnant with you: “Have patience.  In time, even an egg will walk.”  How true that has turned out to be…
It has been a thrill to get to know you, Pritchett.  From the very beginning I have felt a deep curiosity in you to roam, to explore, to experience.  It is the lion in you – the savannah stretched before you, the wind at your back.  It is the water dragon in you – the creature not satisfied by one realm alone; you must belong to sea, land, and sky.  The nervous mother in me worries you’ll one day roam too far but on clear days when I can see around that fear, I cannot wait to find out where you let life lead you.
To balance that fierce adventurer’s spirit, there is also a profound sensitivity and gentleness to you.  I see it in your innate love of animals and in how easily you connect with other children and adults, familiar or not.  You don’t hit, you don’t pull hair, you don’t bite, and on the most microscopic level, I see it when you occupy yourself with the gold necklace I wear every day as a reminder of my beloved dog, Choco.  You have been fascinated with it for as long as I can remember.  You touch it, you wrap your fingers in it, and never once have you yanked or pulled it in a way that would break it.  It’s as if you understand that it means something to me – an insight most likely impossible at your age and yet I sense it nonetheless.
Who you are makes me proud.  I know it makes your dad proud, too.  I wish you could stand back like I do and see him with you, Pritchett.  He is pure light in your presence.  Becoming a father has brought both purpose and peace to his life.  I thank you for that and I hope that, one day, you’ll thank him for his love.  It is there in abundance for you, my boy.
It is said that the baby a couple gets is the baby they are meant to have.  I believe it.  You are a perfect fit for our family.  We all belong together.  You are our son, our little man, our bald baby boy, our Boogie.  How could it be otherwise?
I’ll close by telling you about how your dad comforted me one night fairly early on in your life.  I was bone tired, feeling unsure of myself, and having an emotional moment not uncommon to new mothers.  Dad turned to me and said, “This part is hard, sure, but can you even imagine your life without him now?”  Not in your first year, not in this next year to come, nor in a million years to follow…

You’ll never know, dear, how much I love you/
Just know I love you every day.

Happy first birthday, Pritchett.

Love,
Mom 

No comments:

Post a Comment